new iris increase (was: Rhizomes only bloom once?)

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Barb Johnson wrote:

> 				  I am fascinated by the levels of
> fan growth on the irises I  planted this summer.  Some have one large
> fan, some have added one or more smaller fans to that, a couple have 5
> or 6 fans already, and some are struggling to maintain the one small fan
> they had or newly-grew.  This is one thing I'm keeping track of.

	I am intrigued by this also and I am watching carefully my new
	bearded rhizomes...they have *all* increased - barring none and
	the worst ones (so far) in our frost climate are the SDB's! I think
	I have lost one GRAPESICLE rhizome (I had three, so no problem).

	Of course, the MDB's are doing well and especially the IB's
	and the TB's....The venerable BABY BLESSED (SDB rebloomer) had
	some fungus in two spots and I sat down and laughed since almost
	everyone who grows this raves about it. I also clipped the offending
	material. No other rhizome has any problems except that the SDB's are
	not doing well in the cold.

	The IB's are the biggest surprise but maybe not since they have some
	pumilla background like the SDB's....CANDY FLOSS (Keppel) is
	increasing more since the cold weather arrived.

	Just my musings on a cold October day,

	Ellen Gallagher  e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Northern White Mountains,
		New Hampshire, USA, Zone 3