More Label Ideas..etc

    I should have added my two pennies worth of ideas  on this topic while
the             discussion was fresh!
    I have been using a paint marker pen for the last 3 years, while the
labels self
    destructed in the sun, the writing remained clear and unfaded. The pen
is called
    'Artline 444 XF' paint marker for outdoor use,  nib thickness 0.8mm -
the pen says      that this is 'extra fine', I don't think it is because I
can't get all the info I
    need on my regular plastic tags. I got the pens from a wholesale
    place in Calgary, I can send their address if anyone wants it, they will
    make you buy an entire box worth!! Don't worry by the time you have
    left them in the sun, forgotten to put the tops on or used them to dig
holes for        seedlings there won't be many left!

    The other thing I am experimenting with is anodised aluminium for
labels, in the        NARGS quarterly ( p.344 of vol.53 #40) there's an ad
for them but they are quite
    expensive by the time exchange, duty, gst etc is tacked on, so I decided
to buy
    a sheet of the stuff, 4' x 8' was the smallest size.  The metal company
was kind        enough to cut it into 3/4" by 7" pieces, good thing because
I ended up with 1,100       plus labels (imagine the blisters!)- the metal
company must to this day wonder who      that funny lady was and still be
laughing at what I wanted with so many little          pieces of aluminium.
The good news is that surface is rough enough to write on with
    a 3B or 4B soft lead pencil, the surface can be cleaned off so the label
is            reusable and if you get thick enough metal they don't bend
when you push them into      the ground AND they were CHEAP about 15 cents
each !!! I haven't tried the paint        markers on them - no point if you
need to reuse the labels.  Now the downside, I        couldn't find
aluminium with the same degree of roughness as the NARGS labels, so
    my pencil marks aren't as dark as I would like them to be. I'm happy
with them
    but will keep searching for the 'true' rough stuff for the next batch.

             who  took to heart the forcasters warning of a snow storm, and
actually                    cleaned up(!!).... watched  while only 12 flakes
of snow fell...
                 good thing because.....she forgot about the watering
Anne Savannah          savannah@cadvision.com
Box13  Site6  RR1  DeWinton  AB  T0L 0X0    Tel:403-254-1243
zone3b  min temp -40F