Re: Iris Chrysographes, and Spuria Seeds

Carolyn, and others who may be able to help,
        Thanks for this info.  I need just a little more and wonder if you
or Jan can help me.  I have a large square, encased in boards(would make a
lovely raised garden,)
that the former owners filled with "grit"/gravel, md size.  Under the gravel
is hard red clay-like soil.

        If I put the pro-mix plus liquid fertilizer in it and work it well,
do you think it will be O.K. for produce iris, lillies and other flowers?

        It is a quite large spot and in a small yard is a constant source of
frustration to me.
        Also, and I know this question shows how completly lacking I am, but
could you tell me the name of some good liquid fertilizers.  I have no idea
what to look for.
        For those of you who like the smilleys.  Here is the grandma one I
made for my kids.

        thanks again-have a nice day.

Jan of Schaefer/Sachs talked at breakfast with a group of us about grit for
>She lives in the area of granit mountains, and quarries (discussion on the
>pulling down of mountains at some other time) and she uses chicken/turkey
>grit for making soil. There are different grades that poultry folks use
>from fine grade for baby chicks to a course grade for mature birds.
>She says there are no minerals in the granite and mixed with pro-mix makes
>a great soil. Plants grown in this mix take heavy liquid fertilizer, she
>reasons, because in the desert, rains are few and far between and the rain
>releases heavy doses of nutrients.
>This discussion will be amended by real desert gardeners, I hope, but the
>message to Barb is -- you might try poultry grit for developing gritty soil.
>Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY

          MOM     ~