Re: Excel or other databases

> I would agree with the utility of spreadsheets. I've been using them since I wor
> ked
> at Apple and was showing people how to use Visicalc.
    I realize that Excel may not be the answer to all problems but I love it.  I can get
it to do anything I need so far.  The basic color sorting is why I have a color and
type column.  I can sort out the plicatas, blue in 2 seconds.  If beards were
important then another column for beards would be created.  Then I could sort by
beard color, or anything else I want to list.  For a print out you can always "hide"
these columns and print the base list.  Leaves your spreadsheet complete.  I have
tried a couple of databases, like Foxpro and Dbase4.  I could never get what I
wanted.  Guess it takes all kinds.  Part of the charm is that I also have Excel at
work so I can get in an hour there during lunch.  It also gives me access to several
laser printers that are much higher quality than my color bubble jet.  (one more
thing to put on my wish list).  For me this is such an improvement over the index
card or spiral notebook methods that I do not even want to think of going back to
    I have my Excel file set up so that I can highlight an entry in a column and with
on click sort the entire file by that column.  That might solve one of John's
problems.  If you need help setting this up give me a holler.

Dana Brown  Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where the coldest it's ever been is -17 on 2/8/33 and the warmest it's
ever been is 114 on 6/27/94.  Our average first freeze is November 3rd
and our average last freeze is April 9th.  Our growing season is @ 208
days long with 164 of them clear.