Re: record keeping

ddbro@llano.net wrote:

>  Like Larry I also use a spreadsheet.
snip
>     I also do my maps in Excel.  Since most of my beds are 5' wide and 138' long
> with two rows of iris planted in each the spreadsheet works very well.  I number
> the iris and then at the side of this I list the matching iris (name only).

I also use Exccel for both my list of cultivars and garden maps. I don't know yet
all the information that I am going to want to collect, but at the moment I am
tracking:
Name, type, hybridizer, intro year, height, bloom season, description, whether it
reblooms, where I got it from, and what year I planted it. Don't know what I am
going to do about the annual observations yet.

The biggest complaint I have about using Excel is the ability for me to make a
mistake sorting on different fields, and being able to print all the information I
want across the page is something larger than 6 point type. For that reason I have
also imported the complete file into Helix Express, a database program that allows
me to much more easily format reports, and makes it difficult for me to accidently
screw up the entire data base. Adding fields is very easy, and I can search for
words within a field. For instance I could easily print a list of every variety
that has a tangerine orange in its color scheme. Once I better format the
descriptions I could further restrict the search to just those with tangerine
beards.

I am going to keep parallel data bases in both programs for a while to see which I
end up feeling more comfortable with.
--
On 13 Oct  in -

Most of you "easterners" (of which I am one that is merely transplanted to
California) will recognize the name Molly Pitcher. Today is:

MOLLY PITCHER DAY

1754 - Mary Ludwig was born on this day.Mary grew up near Trenton, New Jersey and
married a man named John Hays. John called Mary by her nickname, Molly.

During the American Revolution, and specifically at the Battle of Monmouth, Molly
was helping out as a water carrier. She gained a new nickname, Molly Pitcher.

Her husband, John, was wounded during the battle. At that point, Molly dropped the
water pitcher and picked up her husband's job of loading and firing a cannon.
General George Washington named her a noncommissioned officer and Mary Ludwig Hays
garnered a new nickname, Sergeant Molly.

Molly Pitcher became a synonym for a heroine.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1962 - Sherry - The 4 Seasons

---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.