Excel or other databases

>John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com> says:
>For that reason I have also imported the complete file into Helix
>Express, a database program that allows me to much more easily format
>reports, and makes it difficult for me to accidently screw up the entire
>data base. Adding fields is very easy, and I can search for
>words within a field. For instance I could easily print a list of every
>variety that has a tangerine orange in its color scheme. Once I better
>format the descriptions I could further restrict the search to just
>those with tangerine beards.
>I am going to keep parallel data bases in both programs for a while to
>see which I end up feeling more comfortable with.

In my experience with using SW, I have found out that Excel is a
wonderful tool for certain things such as keeping track of things that
require computations. Also for formating nice tables for reports.
However, if you want to do searches, sort by fields, find out
information, and even store comments, a database (instead of a
spreadsheet) is much more robust and versatile.

I started using the MS Access Database a couple of years ago for keeping
track of my artwork, my mailing lists, and the overall handling of my
home documents. It has very nice facilities for creating reports, and the
beauty of the reports created by a database tool is that you only have to
fret about the formatting once and for all. For example, in Excel when
you move a cell, all the formatting information goes with it, and your
beautiful report is messed up. However, I still use Excel to keep track
of costs, prices (e.g. prices of stock), dates, etc. because it is more
convenient that Access for that purpose.

I am not familiar with Helix Express. I started with Access because its
model of working is closest to the other MicroSoft tools I was familiar

I could not live without both tools.

Anastasia Czerniakiewicz