RE: iris gardening

To John Walker,
I don't know if this will be much of an answer for you, because I live in
Seattle and everyone knows how much it rains up here!  I also just planted
both I. Psuedacorus and I. versicolor, the president of my local Iris Society
told me I absolutely had to have them in my garden!  According to the book
"Iris" by Fritz Kohlein, I. Psuedacorus is basically a swamp plant but is very
adaptable and can get along in dry soils. It is a heavy feeder and will leach
the soil. Recomended feeding is cattle manure & bone or blood meal fertilizer
in the fall.
I. versicolor also likes moist soil but will florish in dryer conditions. It
also likes an application of cattle manure in the fall. So good luck with your
plants. From what I'm told the extra work it may take you to grow these plants
will be well worth the blooms.
Jefrie Jenkins
Kent-Seattle, WA