Re: IRIS Books

Larry Doucette wrote:

> ...What two iris books did you get ?
>
> IRIS BOOKS  -   would be a good Subject for Iris-L..  I have about 10 Iris books
> - not counting "The World of Iris'  which everyone has (?)    - Or should
> have....
> Except for the Peony book I bought yesterday  - the most recent garden book I
> picked up was IRIS by Fritz Kohlein.  Translated from German by Timber Press in
> 1987.   $37.50    (I know where a couple copies can be found for half price)...
>
>    I have as much room for my garden books as I have for plants in the garden !
>
> ** The garden that is finished is dead **
>
> Larry Doucette  Wilmington, Mass. --- about  200 miles south of Ellen's
> garden......
> INTERNET:75227.1641@compuserve.com
> USDA 5B -15 F : 12 mi. North of Boston & 12 miles inland
>                  -----------------

I have only two, and sincerely wish it were more. I need to go to some
used bookstores.  The first book I got was from a library sale a couple
of years ago, "Iris For Every Garden" by Sydney B. Mitchell (1949).  My
husband had just become a new member of AIS and the local club, and I
was just getting interested in iris myself. I practically slept with
this book. It has been my iris bible until I got "The World of Irises"
this summer. Love-love-love both of them! That is one reason I got
interested in the older irises. The other was that my mother raised them
in the 1930's and 1940's and I had her gardening journal, which she
wrote out separately from her diary-journals, which I still have. I
typed up the gardening journal on my little old Mac computer and then
sent the original on to my sister, who has gardened longer than I, by
far, and was thrilled to have it. One of the things I did with Mr.
Mitchell's book was look up some of my mom's iris.  It is in front of me
now and I can look up other types of iris that I have since become
interested in.  But the BEST book, of course, is "The World of Irises."
It is next to my Mac (not this computer--this is my son's) with the
checklists I have so far, 1939 and 1949. (I plan to get the rest very
soon, but one of my local friends had as much trouble getting books from
Jerry Gifford as people on the List seem to be. She finally did get
them, but one was missing.) My World of Irises is the 3rd printing,
1995. It is wonderful to see that this book has two indexes, one with
regular iris information and the other with named cultivars. Is there
anything I CAN'T learn about irises from it? Wotta book!

Now that I can get back on the List I shall just have to chatter away!
:-D

Barb Johnson, ljohnson@cland.net, also Zone 5b, near as I can figure,
enjoying the irises even tho they aren't blooming! Also the weather, in
the 70's and 80's this week! And my mums, begonias, geraniums, tomatoes,
peppers, eggplants; AND the Fall garden full of sprouting beets,
radishes, and turnip greens (and peas, which will surely bloom very
soon)!  And oh! the Iris-L List!    Double :-D !