Re: IRIS Books

On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Larry Doucette wrote:

> What two iris books did you get ?

	1. GROWING IRISES by Graeme Grosvenor (Australian)2nd edition -1992

	2. IRISES by Susan Berry  (Brian Mathew, consulting editor) the sub-
		 title : A Romantic History with a Guide to Cultivation - 1992

	The little book by Susan Berry is the most interesting to me. I
was up until 2 AM reading both books! The Grosvenor book was a disappointment
since I had heard of him and expected more. Altho, it would be a good
book for someone just started out with irises. He does have lists of
cultivars classed according to variety and color but a really short listing.
	The Berry book is smaller but crammed with interesting historical
facts and Brian Mathew's photos of irises. I finally got to see I.
chrysographes in color. (purple & gold)

> picked up was IRIS by Fritz Kohlein.  Translated from German by Timber
Press in 1987.   $37.50    (I know where a couple copies can be found for
half price)... >

	Ok, I would like it *if* it is worthwhile....I promised myself that
the next gardening book would be about Lilium...but....

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Lancaster, NH, USA
	Zone 3 (not bad today - above freezing and time to get all those
	new bulbs planted. :-(