record keeping

Ok folks, you have convinced me.  Actually, my growing
orchid collection has convinced me, but that is another
list.  Anyway, I want to start to keep records on my
indoor and outdoor plants.  Questions:

Anyone find any software for this?
How detailed do you get.
How do you keep maps straight?
Journal or note paper??

seems silly, but I have thought about this and got a
headache with all the ways I came up with, none of which
I have a clue will work.  Someone with EXPERIENCE, here's
your chance!!!

sharon A. Ruck
herb and Harley Davidson lady
zone 8, east texas