Re: IRIS Books

Many of the AIS Region 4 members have been off line for since last Thursday
because we were in Suffolk Va for the annual region 4 Fall Meeting.  It was
wonderful, as usual!  Regarding iris books, several of us in Region 4 are
serious collectors of iris books, catalogues and literature.  Mike Lowe and I
have been "besting" each other in our latest finds for years (Actually, once
we have an item we help the other one get it too if we can).  I think I have
Mike beat on books, but I think he and Anne have me beat on old catalogues
and other literature.

At Anne's request when she was Editor of ROOTS (Jouranal of the Historic Iris
Preservation Society (HIPS)) I have written a series of articles which have
appeared in past issues on the subject of iris books.  These have been titled
"Diamonds in the Dust", "More Diamond in the Dust", "Diamonds in the Dust
Again", etc, etc.  If you are interested in collecting iris books, or reading
these articles, you can obtain back issues from ROOTS (they are offered for
sale in each issue)  Of course this means you have to spend the enormous sum
of $5.00 to join HIPS to get a copy of ROOTS.

A good way to know what books are in existence....if you can find them...is
to look in the Bibliography  in The World of Irises.  To find copies of the
books which are out of print, you go to used book stores.  Also, you get on
the distribution for catalogues of booksellers who specialize in used
horticultural books.  Many will conduct searches for you for specific items
you would like to have.  It takes a lot of work, but your collection of old
iris books will appreciate in value.  It is not a bad investment. And the
knowledge to be gained is great.       Clarence Mahan in VA

P.S. There are 4 past Presidents of HIPS on the iris-l.  In order of the
terms of their service: Anne Lowe, Clarence Mahan, Larry Doucette, Dave
Silverberg.  So is it any wonder that old irises are frequently a subject on
this list?