Record Keeping

wanted -(see below to evaluate the method I use)-
Note books are easy to carry around the garden, etc. Garden shapes are easy
to annotate on sheets of paper. -  But,  erasers are used extensively !...

Sharon -
I have researched this subject sometime ago and have written a small articles
for an Iris publications. MY solution to mapping was to use a Spreadsheet
program (you must have at least one around). Even tho your beds may not be
straight - it is easy to compromise on 'paper'.. A Database  Program certainly
will work for you, too. Printing the map with a Spreadsheet program can be the
only major problem..  (the wide carriage dot-matrix printer is best for this
purpose)  I was able to print out 13 plants per spreadsheet-row (landscape
mode)..  Does this make sense to you ?
  Anyhow,  I've been using this method quite satisfactorily for over 10 years...

The Spreadsheet program can also be used for the general listing.  I listed my
plants as follows:  NAME - HYBRIDIZER - TYPE - BED (Usually coded) Actual
LOCATION in bed - COLOR - Then a column for each year to record BLOOM date then
finally a column entitled REMARKS - A hybridizer would record many additional
fact ..
Does this help - If not - ask me more questions

** Time Began In A Garden **
Larry Doucette  Wilmington, Mass.
USDA 5B -15 F  : 12 mi. North of Boston : 12 miles inland