Re: record keeping

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: record keeping
  • From: ddbro@llano.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 02:19:07 GMT
  • Return-Receipt-To: ddbro@llano.net

> Anyone find any software for this?
> How detailed do you get.
> How do you keep maps straight?
> Journal or note paper??
    Like Larry I also use a spreadsheet.  First Lotus 123 and now Excel.  It lists the
following information.  Name, when I purchased it, the basic color, whether it is an
amoena, plicata, neglecta, etc. (I use these last 2 columns so that I can sort by
color or type), the map number (each bed is named, A, B, C, Fantasy, Pecan, etc.
and each iris is numbered in that bed), who I got the iris from, who I bought the iris
for (my husband or myself, this is just for fun so I can give Vernon a hard time
about all the iris HE buys), the breeder/hybridizer, the year of introduction, when it
blooms, the height, whether or not it is a rebloomer, what class (TB, SDB, etc.),
the description from the R & I book (very abbreviated in my own shorthand), and a
bloom history for spring and rebloom for each year.  I print this up and keep it in
sheet protectors in a notebook so that it can go to the garden at any time.  Using
china markers I can make notes on the sheet protectors and then transfer that info
into my computer at my leisure.
    I also do my maps in Excel.  Since most of my beds are 5' wide and 138' long
with two rows of iris planted in each the spreadsheet works very well.  I number
the iris and then at the side of this I list the matching iris (name only).
    At the end of each year a copy of this goes into my permanent hard copy file.  I
also keep the computer records labeled by year.
    What I don't have is any comments.  As I tour my gardens each day in spring I
take a small tape recorder and make my bloom comments here and then transfer
them over.  Maybe that is where I should also keep my other comments and add
them as well.  This list is already a full sheet wide in the landscape mode but I
guess I wouldn't have to print the varietal comments.  Just keep them in the
    Did I mention that I am slightly obsessive compulsive?(-:

Dana Brown  Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where the coldest it's ever been is -17 on 2/8/33 and the warmest it's
ever been is 114 on 6/27/94.  Our average first freeze is November 3rd
and our average last freeze is April 9th.  Our growing season is @ 208
days long with 164 of them clear.