Re: Weather

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996 jwallen@blomand.net wrote:

> What do they do at a bulb festival in the (cold) autumn?

	I guess I was pretty vague - the Camilles (owners of Mt. River
	Flower Farm ) had a celebration of the arrival of the long-awaited
	order of the Darwin hybrid tulips, special narcissi, croci, etc.

	There was a tent sent up with a wood-burning stove for warmth with
	hot cider brewing throughout the day with tables for special garden
	books (I bought two iris books, of course), freshly baked pies, garden
	tools (I bought another pair of pruning shears - 3 just wasn't enuf),
	fresh autumn squash and pumpkins, etc.

	Lots of garden talk and catching up with news, etc. We are rather
	isolated up here and it is grand to be around other gardeners.
	Oh, there was a wonderful saxophonist playing traditional jazz and
	it was a wonderful way to say good-bye to 1996 gardening and hunker
	down for the winter.

> 							   New
> Hampshire cold is too much for me.

	Most of New Hampshire is *not* as cold as the far Northern White
	Mountains - we are at a much higher elevation than the rest of
	this small state. North of us is warmer and South of us is much
	warmer occupied by the `flat-landers' in Manchester and Concord.

	It is a challenge and a joy to live and garden here with our short
	growing season and I wouldn't trade places with anybody ...well,
	maybe that guy in Hawaii.....

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Lancaster, NH, USA
	Zone 3 (-40 F in winter) Jody had ear-muffs on when she was setting
	up the tent this morning - wind was fierce