Rhizomes only bloom once?

  • To: IRIS-L@Rt66.com
  • Subject: Rhizomes only bloom once?
  • From: "Kimberly A. Hawbaker" <hawbaker@northernnet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:14:31 -0700
  • Conversation-Id: <BMSMTP8450860493hawbaker@server.northernnet.com>

Good Evening from Northern Minn where our trees "peeked" with color last
weekend and are now falling off the trees fast!

I feel kind of silly but just read an interesting paragraph in a book about
irises and was very surprised to hear that iris rhizomes only bloom once!
After they bloom, a rhizome will produce 2 more rhizomes that summer which will
bloom and do the same the following year.  The mother rhizome will become a
feeder to the others. This perhaps explains why it's hard to get a newly
planted rhizome from the nursuries to bloom the next spring unless they have
had sufficient time to produce their 2 rhizomes.  Do I have this right?  I
wonder if my newly planted TB's this year had enough time to produce "off
spring" to bloom next spring?

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive an order from AIS for books,
postcards etc?  I sent an order 5 weeks ago and still haven't received my
anything!

Kim in Northern Minn. USDA zone 3
hawbaker@northernnet.com