Re: iris declared noxious plant

> where do pseudacorus hail from?

Kathy, I'm afraid I must disagree with your comment.  I. pseudacorus is
native to Europe. It is, in legend, the origin of the fleur des lis design,
adopted as the coat of arms of the French royal house (It currently is on the
flag of the "country" of Bosnia.)   Iris pseudacorus is extremely
invasive....we discussed this some while back on the list.  It is not banned
in any U.S. states yet, my state and others  have declared it a danger to our
native species.  It is replacing large stands of iris versicolor in Canda and
the Northwest U.S., and replacing I. virginica in the South.  It is not easy
to control because it sets pods so readily...miss a pod in your garden and
you will have this iris everywhere.  I grow  about a half dozen different
forms, but am extremely careful not to let it go to seed.  I can well
understand why New Zealand would ban this iris, even though it is quite
lovely. Clarence Mahan in Virginia