Re: Rebloomer (?) HANDS UP

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Rebloomer (?) HANDS UP
  • From: Barb Johnson <ljohnson@cland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:32:46 -0500

Hello from Barb, finally! Comments follow:

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> >One of my summer-bought irises is Monty Byers' Hands Up.... does anyone
> raise it, and does it rebloom for you? >>
>
> It was given to me when I first joined AIS - bloomed once, and has since been
> swallowed by the fescue.  I just moved some of it to my 'corn rows' this
> summer - can't tell you about re-bloom, but it seems to be a 'survivor' here.
>  However, its infrequent bloom here (especially with Lloyd's comment about it
> being tender) may mean it will have problems in frost holler.

Sorry I missed Lloyd's comment, must have slipped through the cracks.
I just went through Friendship's catalog more thoroughly, and found
many, many Byers rebloomers. HANDS UP is in Larry's Harder's catalog
this year, but not as a rebloomer. So I will look forward to seeing its
Spring bloom, anyway!

> About those raised beds and pots - my experience has been that you may have
> irises starting growth too early for your frost holler.  The raised beds and
> pots warm up faster, which may initiate growth early enough to give you even
> more frost damage.  For early bloomers, that can be enough aournd here in
> March to prevent bloom entirely - they don't even try.

I do have some early bloomers. And last March it got down to 2 above one
day early in the month!  We are planning to sink our pots into the
ground or pile dirt around them before winter, tho. I hadn't remembered
that when I wrote that.

  Covering everything
> with plant bed covers (Reemay (sp?) or whatever they use nowadays for tobacco
> beds) during every freeze below 20o after jonquils are growing (trying to
> think of a good indicator for Missouri....) or a month or two before last
> frost works well, but is a nuisance.

Could you explain more about the 20 degree freeze point for iris? Does
it kill the bloomstalk, AND damage the foliage? I don't plan to cover
anything this Fall, as I don't have any rebloom, but will be looking
very carefully at everything come Spring.  (not that I'm not now--I'm
probably the only one on the List who looks at every iris she has and
encourages it to grow!  A couple of them have 5 and 6 new fans since
their August planting! Larry Doucette's 16 are doing fine, too!

I would love to get some Reemay. One of our sons works at a nursery
warehouse, and that's why we can get so many pots very reasonable. The
Reemay is a 30 pound 148 foot by 300 foot roll!  So we are wondering
whether we want a quarter of an acre of Reemay (good price, tho)! Our
future plans are to have a greenhouse, tho, for sure. I can hardly wait!

 I used to do it, now I stick with the
> later bloomers.  Some of the earlier bloomers seem to be able to take the
> cold better than others, but I have tried unsuccessfully to figure out how to
> find them.  Nobody seems to keep track of such things.

This is a great point.  People keep track of everything else concerning
growing.  Let's you and I and others on the list keep track, shall we?
Maybe my husband and I find keeping records more fun than others do,
tho!  Since this is our first year for iris, we'll be starting brand-new
squeaky-clean!  Awesome!

> Gunnar and other friends 'across the great water' as my old neighbor used to
> call the Atlantic Ocean - nowadays - hmm, sounds like one of those
> mountain/Old English concoctions - probably from 'now on these days' . ??
> Could be!  I have some English books that might have that word in them.

Cheers, Barb, finally getting back to you!
ljohnson@cland.net  And we're only a quarter of a mile from the river, I
just found out, not half a mile!  No frost yet, but tomorrow morning,
Friday, will probably be The Day.