Re: Introduction

On 10/9/96 4:47PM, in message
<325C1D3D.1CC@mail.leoburnett.com>, "Jane Mattei"
<jmattei@mail.leoburnett.com> wrote:

I have felt the urge to de-lurk and chime in on several subjects since I
subscribed to this list. Hopefully you will all forgive me for not doing
this sooner but I can plead only that I was overwhelmed by the volume of
mail for at least the first two weeks. Now I've dug my way out and have
15 minutes of uncommitted time so I'm just going to DO IT!

I am an expatriate Canadian from Calgary, living near Chicago for the
past 4 years. I am fluent in English (British and Canajun, eh?) and
American ('mer-cun) ** translations performed for a nominal fee** as
well as a smattering of French. BTW have you ever heard French spoken
with a Texas accent? (Hint: work in the Canadian oil industry for a

For the birthday list, which I enjoyed very much, I am 41 (not dog
years), born 17 JUN 55 (US 6/17/55), married to a "Windy City" native.
We have two boys at home (15 and 23) consuming a lot of groceries and
not producing much return on investment yet. I support my gardening and
equestrian habits by playing with all the new toys in the world of
computer technology at a large advertising agency in "The Loop".

I have always loved iris but have only ever grown Siberians (think about
it -- Zone 3, 4000' elev., semi-arid, sub-alpine). They grew like weeds!
I was so impressed. I have now received my first 10 (unidentified) TB's,
planted last weekend on top of a drainage swale slope and await my 5
(unidentified) Siberians for the opposite (low side) of the same swale.
Over time, I plan to "walk" the iris beds from this beginning along the
length of the swale, about 150' varying from 4' wide to as much as 10',
incorporating whatever varieties seem suited to the spot that needs
filling. I'm dying to try some Louisiana's in a particularly boggy
section of this bed and some Japanese where it runs along a fence line.

I will close now and send this off.

Jane Mattei
    Welcome to the light of day.  Don't let all the atten"sun" drive you back
into the dark.
    I don't know how you handle your horses and your gardens.  I know
that back when we had all of our horses they were pretty much a full time
job.  Of course, we had a 17 stall barn and boarded horses for the public
in order to support ours.  We were showing dogs and working 7-4 jobs
on the side.  I thought that iris would be a lot easier to take care of than
horses and show dogs but the only difference is that the iris don't holler
at you if you are late feeding them or cleaning up after them.
    At what point do you start to see a return on your investment?  Ours is
30 and although she is not the drain on the pocket book she once was I
still don't seem to have recouped any of the expenditure<grin>.
    Once again, welcome to the list and hope to hear more from you.

Dana Brown  Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where the coldest it's ever been is
-17 on 2/8/33 and the warmest it's
ever been is 114 on 6/27/94