Re: I. unguicularis at 100 F?

        My mother-in-law grows I. unguicularis in Sydney which is
semi-tropical, the summers are hot with high humidity, even the winters are
warm, I guess the overnight minimum would be around 10C most of the time. I
grow it here in Canberra (about 2 hours drive S.W.) where it flowers a bit
later we have a dry climate (low humidity) with even low rainfall and frosty
winters (no snow). I got mine from her clump and it took a couple of years
to start flowering. Mine are in full sun and are low(=no) maintenance, my
mother-in-law's are in semi-shade. I did read a recommendation to trim back
the foliage in early autumn so that it doesn't hide the flowers, but I think
this would make the plant very ugly, as the delicate green leaves are a fine
        The first TB flower spikes appeared this weekend, and a Pacific
Coast Iris I purchased a few weeks ago is flowering (no cultivar name but
very pretty).
        I purchase 2 iris this weekend, I tectorum album and I virginica
(fantastic purple leaves). Would the I virginica be best in a pond if I
can't guarantee wet soil? Does anybody know anything about I tectorum? I can
only find very cursory info in my books, I believe it likes to be divided
pretty frequently.

It's great to finally be able to mention what's flowering in my garden,
bye for now,

Simone Clark
Canberra Australia