Re: I. unguicularis at 100 F?

On 10/8/96 11:03AM, in message
<v01520d0bae802a64050f@[]>, Tom Tadfor Little
<tlittle@lanl.gov> wrote:

:I have grown Iris unguicularis for 3 years...from seeds...and never had a
:bloom.  I am going to move them to a warmer place, perhaps.  What do
:recommend?  The British seem to relish this species...and I've never
:seen it in bloom!

Tom: I. unquicularis typically takes 5 years or so to bloom from seed.
But it is worth the wait. There's nothing like having an established
clump of this species blooming by your front door from October to March!

    Ok, where do I find some of this?  I would like to give it a try.  It can't
be any worse than my wisteria.  About 8 years ago I planted a wisteria
bush.  Memories of the one Mom had with huge clusters of bloom.  It
kept trying to bloom early (with the crocus) and getting frozen.  This year
when it happened again I decided I had had enough.  I resolved to
dig/root it out this fall and plant one that bloomed at normal time.  While
watching PBS I caught a show on flowering vines and bushes.  The
woman said  "although a wisteria takes 10 years to bloom they are worth
the wait".  I would have been really upset if I had dug that turkey up and
found out I had to start over and wait another 8 or 10 years.  Live and

Dana Brown  Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
Where the coldest it's ever been is
-17 on 2/8/33 and the warmest it's
ever been is 114 on 6/27/94