Hello - About photographing irises ...

My name is Anastasia and I love to paint dramatic portraits of irises in
oils and pastels, so I can capture strong and deep colors and beautiful
shapes.

I rely mostly on photographs for my paintings because a single work may
take more than 30 hours of painting time spread over several weeks (also,
because I like to paint year-round).

My husband Roger is my photographer and we love to go to the local iris
gardens (Scheiners and Cooleys) to capture the beauties in early
spring.

For the paintings I prefer sharp contrasts of lights and shadows, and
out-of-focus backgrounds to add dimension and sharpness to the flower in
focus.

Roger uses a Canon EOS Elan camera with a 70-300 mm telephoto lens. For
photographing irises he uses a manual meter to measure the light  because
the sharp colors and light contrasts of the flower tend to confuse the
cameras internal meter. The most dramatic shots are those taken on sunny
days (sometimes difficult to find in Oregon), in mid-afternoon. The
colors are brighter and the shapes more clearly outlined when captured
with slide film (as opposed to prints). He usually uses a Fuji Sensia 100
film (carried by Costco), which captures natural colors well

I paint from the developed slide by projecting it onto a Mylar screen in
my studio.

After a painting is completed, I photograph it with 100 speed print film,
using a special filter and under special lighting conditions (that you
probably do not care about). Those photographs are scanned, digitized,
manipulated, and compressed for my Web page. You can see the results at

	http://www.teleport.com/~painting (follow the flowers link).

Im getting Roger to write a couple of mini-articles about the scanning
and manipulation of photographs, the use of Snappy, and building Web
sites. Ill post them as soon as he is finished.

Nice meeting you all.

--
Paintings@Anastasia.com
Anastasia Czerniakiewicz