Re: Cameras and Iris photograaphy

Dennis Stoneburner wrote:
> Find a GOOD photofinisher and stick with them.  Sometimes "Cheap" 2 day
> places are very good.  Stay away from the 1 hour places - these people
> are not trained to do good printing - they are lucky if they dust the
> file before printing.
How are the 1 hour places on the developing process? There are times I want a quick
set of prints, and would get better prints later if the film is ok. I assume it has
mostly to do with how well they keep their chemicals and how well they keep the
equipment in tune and clean.

Also, I seem to remember that you should overexpose slide film by 1 stop and
underexpose print film by one stop. Having to do with leaving more molecules in
place on one and removing fewer on the other. Is this out of date wisdom?? I guess
the way around the problem is to take three shots of each flower bracketing the
proper exposure by one stop on each side.

On 7 Oct  in -
1492, A false cry of "Land ho!" and sighting of land birds makes Christopher
Columbus change course and miss Florida.
1826 - Granite Railway (1st chartered railway in US) begins operations
1849 - Edgar Allen Poe died:

Once upon a midnight dreary,
While I pondered weak and weary
over many a volume of forgotten lore,
suddenly there came a tapping,
as of someone gently rapping,
rapping at my chamber door.

1856, the first practical folding machine to fold book and newspaper sheets is
patented by Cyrus Chambers, Jr. of Pennsylvania.
1913 - Henry Ford establishes a moving assembly line.
1957 - Dick Clark's American Bansand premiered on television. Anybody else on iris-l
besides me ever get on the show?

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1960 - Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.