Re: Holes in rhizomes

 Donald's list of varmits is diaheartening!!  Please remind me where you
live!!

	 How do you account for so many pests choosing the iris?  If your
weather has been anything like ours, cool, wet, great growing weather
since spring, it would seem they could find something else to eat!!

	 And don't they have any natural enemies??? I mean, where are the
birds, and such???  My garden has gone thru some cycles this summer, of
snails, and borers, and such, but I have found that I only had to use
cygon for borers and wait out the other pests.  Where there was snail dmage
on the hosta, for example, or on the dahlias that were not in full sun,
 in a few days the new growth would overtake the snails, and we'd be back
to glory again.  In a dryer year, slugs would not be a problem.
 	 There is more rot out there among the iris than in previous years,
but this seems to be confined to new increases, and only some of them.

	 And we in Western New York have not had enough sunshine to dry
things as much as they would like, but I have perhaps, some really good
color on some fall blooming things -- like the dahlias -- and the
 iris foliage seems not to be sunburned, or diseased.

	 I've seen more ladybugs this year than I can remember.

	But a dirth of bees!!  Anyone else concerned about the lack of bees??

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, winding down summer and snuggling in here.