Re: Holes in rhizomes

At 06:52 AM 10/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Oh, yes, Donald mentioned those million footed creatures, and millions of
>them.  Yes!! Ihave found them eating my alfalfa!!  I think that's ok, since
>they probably are helping to process it and break it down for humus. They
>are not devouring all of it, but leaving enough for the iris.
>Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, Western New York, under clear but not frosty sky

Yes, Carolyn, I do believe you are right.  I saw many of these on my irises
shortly after applying alfalfa pellets.  They seemed to be munching the
alfalfa rather than the irises.  I can't say that I ever caught one of them
red handed biting into the iris rhizomes, but one's imagination runs wild
when irises are being eaten and rotting is taking place.

-Donald (glad to see cooler weather and fewer insects)

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8