Re: Holes in rhizomes

CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> >       But a dirth of bees!!  Anyone else concerned about the lack of bees??
> >

> Yes...there have been lots of butterflies and hummingbirds this year...more
> than I ever remember. But very few bees.  I have not seen one honeybee this
> year, and usually there are swarms.  This could bode trouble.  Clarence Mahan
> in VA

Honey bees all over the US are being attacked by a new scourge - tracheal mites
- which on top of the verroa mite are decimating the bees. Verroa can be
controlled with a "No Pest Strip" sort of control in commercial hives, but
there is no known control (that I know yet at least) for the tracheal mite.

---

John, Iris lover         | "There be dragons here"
and part time            |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
beekeeper                |  to indicate the edge of the known world.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.