Re: Reblooming iris according to Charlie Brown

Rodney Barton wrote:

> All,
>
> Iris-l's own Charlie Brown spoke last evening to the Fort Worth Iris
> Society on Growing Rebloomers in North Central Texas.  As you may
> remember from his posts Charlie grows about 250 rebloomers and a
> total of about 2000 irises near Denison, Texas (close to the Texas
> Oklahoma border).

--  snip  --

> Perhaps the most interesting thing was that he grows all of his iris
> in raised beds using river sand as the medium with a thin layer of
> peat (or was that peat moss?) in the bottom.  The beds are
> constructed of 2 x 12, treated lumber and lined with 6 mil.
> construction grade plastic sheeting with two drain holes on the lower
> end.   According to Charlie the peat absorbs the water and serves as a
> reservoir for the roots while the sand allows the top the bed to stay
> relatively dry.  The sand also makes working the beds easy but
> provides plenty of support for the plants.  The plastic helps hold in
> the moisture and the sand in addition to keeping out weeds and tree
> roots.

Rodney,
Thanks for the great report

Charlie,
Doesn't seen like enough dirt and nourishment? What am I missing?

--
On 6 Oct  in -
1889 Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1961Take Good Care of My Baby - Bobby Vee

---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.