Annette Milch wrote:

>         As far as roots, I would leave them on to anchor the iris. Annette
Traditional wisdom seems to be that the roots that are there when you get you iris from
a supplier, or after you let rhizomes dry out, do not regrow and thus are of little
value to the rhizome except to hold it into place (which is important). What is
important is that the dirt make good contact with the underside and leading edge of the
part of the rhizome that the fan rises from. This is where the new roots will emerge
from.(Look for little bumps or little yellow dots - although sometimm es you can't see
them). Some people will trim all the roots from the center of the rizome. Sort of a
reverse Mohawk on the underside of the rhizome. This helps make sure of good soil
On 6 Oct  in -
1889 Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.
1927 "The Jazz Singer", First movie with a sound track, premieres.
1923  Edwin Hubble identifies the first Cepheid variable star.
1930  Laura Ingalls made the first transcontinental airplane flight by a woman, flying
a bi-plane from New York to California in four days.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1961Take Good Care of My Baby - Bobby Vee

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.