Re: Holes in rhizomes

At 06:42 AM 4/10/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Julie--Do you have crickets?... I wondered if it
>isn't the same thing I get this time of year that looks as if something
>is just gnawing away at the exposed top part of the rhizome?

This is very possible.  Of course we have crickets...we have EVERYTHING1  I
have not seen crickets in the iris beds, but this is a good clue.  When I
went back to observe the holes again, I found that some of them have more
than just a round hole--the gnawing extended further into the rhizome and
made a cave.

As you suggested, it seems to be primarily in the newly planted rhizomes. It
is strange how animals (including insects) seem to prefer certain rhizomes.
A year ago something (voles?)  attacked several iris but completely ate
>Now when I plant, the last thing I do is sprinkle a few diazanon crystals
>around the exposed rhizomes.  Doesn't always complete stop the gnawing,
>but seems to get rid of the crickets before they can completely finish off
>a rhizome.

Thanks for the advice,
Julie Allen jwallen@blomand.net, Sparta, YN Zone 6