Redneck Rebloom

You may be a redneck irisarian if you use old 55 gallon oil drums to
protect your reblooming clumps from early frosts.

I am covering any clumps that look as if they may give a stalk for next
weekend, (Region 4 Fall Show). Brother Carl, Pink Attraction, Lady Emma and
a beautiful luminata? zonal? seedling by Clarence Mahan (IDS15R) are now in
bloom.

Clarence's seedling is the color of Michaelmas daisies with white zones on
standard ribs and around the beard. It just misses the luminata defnition
by not having pure white style arms and crests. Both standards and falls
are fluted;falls are very flared with 7 inches from fall center to fall
center.The substance is heavy-a 3 day old flower is still standing tall.
The odor is a faint cinnamon and does not appear to attract bugs. In the
same vase is one of its parents (I Do) with 3 open blooms and substance
almost as good. However, it is infested with aphids-nuff said!
Brickbats and stones will probably be my fate, but I must say that it is,
in MHO, more beautiful than Suky.

Best regards,

Mike Lowe, mikelowe@tricities.net
South Central Virginia, USA
USDA Zone 7A, pH-5.4,  very sandy loam
185 to 205 frost free growing days per year