Re: Holes in rhizomes

At 10:39 AM 10/5/96 -0500, you wrote:

> Donald, do you have crickets chewing on your rhizomes?
>Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN

Well, Linda, something was chewing on my rhizomes, but it appears to have
subsided for the moment.  The deterrent I tried was diatomaceous earth
sprinkled on the rhizomes, although I don't know if this was effective.  I
went out on night patrol for approximately one week after I experienced some
rot problems and found and executed several culprits.  They included, but I
am sure they are not limited to, crickets, snails, palmetto bugs (huge
native outdoor, cockroaches) and these little millipede looking insects
(literally numbering in the millions).  I noted that something had chewed
small holes in the tops of the rhizomes (only the exposed ones).  These
holes filled with fluid from the juicy rhizomes and then a whole host of
insects were attracted by the "nectar"!  I treated the rhizomes with Comet
cleanser in the hopes of deterring the pests and the inevitable rot which
was to follow.  However, it seemed that most of the rhizomes I lost were
growing beautifully one day and rotten or seemingly cut down the next.  It
also seems that the more prized TB's fell victim - guess that's Murphy's law
at work.  I haven't seen many crickets, but something also mowed down a
whole clump of Japanese Anemones in the same area - maybe grasshoppers.  I
refuse to resort to strong pesticides so I guess I'll just have to keep
ahead of the insects by planting large quantities of irises; which means I
won't be buying anyone's $40.00 or more introductions. :)

-Donald (waiting on BROTHER CARL to unfurl and falling in love with rebloomers)

Donald Mosser
dmosser@southconn.com
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8