Re: rot parade

>I know it will break your heart, Linda, but I must report that I had not
>a TRACE of rot in any of the 160 or so irises I moved to my new house
>two weeks ago.
>
>Would you like to move to New Mexico?

Two weeks??? No rot in two weeks??? What kind of test is that!

Nah, I'm tough - takes more than rotten iris to break my heart.  And I am so
used to all the soggy humidity here that the southwest makes me feel
dehydrated. As Julie has already noticed, we have unbelievable biodiversity
here (including plants, bugs, and bacteria).

Still very little rot out in my plowed 'corn rows' of iris, lots of rot in
the raised or sloped beds everywhere else in the yard and garden.  The rot
mostly affects the bases of the outer leaves and doesn't usually spread to
the rhizomes, or if it does, only seems to affect the piece of rhizome the
leaf is attached to a clump.  Of course, all the 'sensitive' varieties have
long since rotted completely.  Is this typical soft rot behavior?

This will be my second winter for at least 2 of the plowed rows.  They are
growing like mad and the clump of IMMORTALITY with 4 bloomstalks out there
has no rot so far, compared with the clump in the yard which is still growing
about twice as fast as it rots.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN usa