Amount of rainfall to grow arilbreds

Thank you to everyone for all the advice about growing OYEZ.  Tom asked how
much rain we get.  Our average is about 25".  All of the rain comes in the
winter except maybe 1/2".  So, is this what arilbreds like?
Mary Forte, Atascadero, CA, USA zone 8/9, hot dry summers, semi-mild winters.
 Can grow lilacs, can't grow citrus.