Re: rot parade

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:
> I wrote
> :
> :>I know it will break your heart, Linda, but I must report that I had not
> :>a TRACE of rot in any of the 160 or so irises I moved to my new house
> :>two weeks ago.
> and Linda replied
> :
> :Two weeks??? No rot in two weeks??? What kind of test is that!
> :
> My point was not that rot had not developed in this two week period, but
> rather that moving them gave me the opportunity to inspect all my irises,
> and they were all healthy.
Ahhh, it is so nice to see someone taking thew bait as easily as I do. The hook
doesn't hurt too much does it??
On 4 Oct  in -
 1582, Gregorian Calendar Adjustment Day; Pope Gregory XIII issued a decree that the
day following today should be next day became October 15; this corrected the problem
with the previously-used Julian calendar which was ten days behind
because of the extra leap year days. Most Catholic countries adopted it, but Britain
and the American Colonies held out until 1752.

1883, the "Orient Express" begins its first run, linking Turkey to Europe by rail.

1957 USSR launches Sputnik, the first artificial earth satellite. How many of you
remember hearing its signal broadcast ofer the radio.

1862 - Born on this day - And you thought Laura Lee Hope wrote The Bobbsey Twins.
Wrong! Hope was the pen name of Edward L. Stratemeyer. Stratemeyer used over 60
different names to pen over 800 books.  Stratemeyer created the Stratemeyer
Syndicate in 1906 to produce such  popular teenagers' reading material as The Hardy
Boys and Nancy Drew  mystery series. Under the name, Arthur Winfield, Stratemeyer
penned twenty books about the adventures of the Rover Boys from 1899-1917, plus
forty books centered around the young inventor, Tom Swift.
He wrote the first of many Bobbsey Twins stories in 1904. It was titled Merry Days
Indoor and Out and featured the adventures of two sets of  twins, eight-year-olds,
Bert and Nan and four-year-olds, Freddie and  Flossie.
Thanks go to Mr. Stratemeyer, or whatever his name was, for many hours of great
reading for many, many generations of young people.

1931 - "Extra! Extra! Read all about it!" Gumshoe Dick Tracy (minus  Madonna doing
the musical soundtrack) debuted in The Detroit Mirror on this day.
2363 The U.F.P. Starship Enterprise NCC 1701-D is commissioned.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.