Re: Iris Photography/Snappy

> But out in the back, next to the path is a stalk of, I have determined,
> Immortality. It has about 6 buds, and a good terminal bloom.  And another
> stalk is climbing toward the cloudy sky.
> It shuld get warmer this weekend, so maybe I'll wait on the furnace...

Sounds like you need a few "Hobbits" in your garden too.
On 4 Oct  in -
 1582, Gregorian Calendar Adjustment Day; Pope Gregory XIII issued a decree that
the day following today should be next day became October 15; this corrected the
problem with the previously-used Julian calendar which was ten days behind
because of the extra leap year days. Most Catholic countries adopted it, but
Britain and the American Colonies held out until 1752.

1883, the "Orient Express" begins its first run, linking Turkey to Europe by

1957 USSR launches Sputnik, the first artificial earth satellite. How many of you
remember hearing its signal broadcast ofer the radio.

1862 - Born on this day - And you thought Laura Lee Hope wrote The Bobbsey Twins.
Wrong! Hope was the pen name of Edward L. Stratemeyer. Stratemeyer used over 60
different names to pen over 800 books. Stratemeyer created the Stratemeyer
Syndicate in 1906 to produce such  popular teenagers' reading material as The
Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew  mystery series. Under the name, Arthur Winfield,
Stratemeyer penned twenty books about the adventures of the Rover Boys from
1899-1917, plus forty books centered around the young inventor, Tom Swift.
He wrote the first of many Bobbsey Twins stories in 1904. It was titled Merry
Days Indoor and Out and featured the adventures of two sets of  twins,
eight-year-olds, Bert and Nan and four-year-olds, Freddie and  Flossie.
Thanks go to Mr. Stratemeyer, or whatever his name was, for many hours of great
reading for many, many generations of young people.

1931 - "Extra! Extra! Read all about it!" Gumshoe Dick Tracy (minus  Madonna
doing the musical soundtrack) debuted in The Detroit Mirror on this day.
2363 The U.F.P. Starship Enterprise NCC 1701-D is commissioned.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.