Re: Help! Holes in rhizomes, semi -serious

LINDA,
Do you mean saddlebacks instead of packsaddles?  I have experienced cuts
and stings on several occasions from saddleback caterpillars.  They are such
otherwise attractive creatures that I wouldn't harm them.  I thought they might be
Luna moth (my favorite Lepidoptera) caterpillers.  I now know that they
only turn into a brown moth that has no attractive features that I know
of.  They certainly like to eat iris leaves.  I guess it cuts down on
what must go to the landfills.
Phyllis Soine
Zone 7 on the banks of the James River where it is supposed to get to the
mid-30's tonight, earlier than usual and I wonder what I should have done
in the garden before tomorrow.
wsoine@gems.vcu.edu