rebloomers, Swedish Modern, AIS shows, judging, Hilda Crick

At our ETIS meeting last night, Blanche Lawson brought in a stalk of ST
PETERSBURG , which is now sitting here with me.  This is the first rebloomer
that I have seen that I really like - tall and graceful.  Sort of a gray
lavender tinted white with a little bit of ruffles. And with falls that don't
stick straight out (a modern trait that I dislike a lot).

All you show happy AIS folks will be happy to hear that we voted to have a
judged show in 1998.  About half the members have decided they would like to
try it.

At the meeting, I was looking at a judge's handbook in the section on
rebloomers - it says there are 4 'behaviors' of rebloom.  I can't quite
remember what it said, but something like: 1) blooms continuously (but mostly
only in California), 2) blooms spring and fall, 3) blooms at unpredictable
times (?like one year in the spring, the next year in the fall), 4) sends up
later bloomstalks in the spring.

Does the reblooming society put this information in the checklist?

Some of our long-time growers in Kentucky and Tennessee say that JUICY FRUIT
is an attractive reliable fall rebloomer and mentioned IMMORTALITY, FEEDBACK,
UNBELIEVABLE LOVE, and GIBSON GIRL as some summer rebloomers that do well in
east Tennessee.  Although IMMORTALITY rots like crazy here, like Lois Rose
says, it grows even faster. A clump that got planted in the summer drought of
'95 has 4 bloomstalks on it right now!  I have never tried GIBSON GIRL
because of the Gibson plicata rot reputation, but certainly will try it now.

Our program was a report on the awards system in AIS (from the region 7 fall
regional judges training) :  (  And a panel discussion for beginners, which
turned into a chaotic babblefest - lots of fun.  One tidbit - some comment
that SWEDISH MODERN is an EDITH WOLFORD (yellow/blue) type that does well, at
least in Kentucky.  Anybody else have comments on this one?  (too bad Gunnar
is off list now!)

Does anybody know Hilda Crick?  Blanche Lawson mentioned that she is an AIS
judge who lives somewhere in east Tennessee.