Re: Photographing irises/Snappy

John Jones writes

:Thanks, what 1500x1125 means is that it is the maximum number of pixels
:that can
:be created by the scan, which translates to the maximum size of displayed
:image.
:It still displays at 72 dpi on the screen. Doesn't really specify the DPI
:of the
:scan. I am starting to get really curious about all the smoke here.

Well, there is no "DPI of the scan" because the image is not present
on any solid surface before it is digitized. The field of the
video camera is digitized into a 1500x1125 image; what the field is
in angular measure depends on the video camera's lens.

The images that Jim Freeman posted on the Cyber Cork Board looked very
nice, but one could easily recognize them as coming from a video source
rather than photographic film. I will again recommend that folks take a
look at Jim's web page

http://www.netwizards.net/~jfree/

to see examples of SNAPPY images. I think he sees the main advantage
of video capture to be that one can quickly digitize a large number
of images without paying for photographic processing. I think using
a video camera as a source does not offer high enough quality to replace
scanned photographs, although it is a fun alternative where publication-
quality photos are not required.

Cheers, Tom.