Re: Help! Holes in rhizomes, semi -serious

>Another mystery malady has struck.  My newly planted rhizomes seemed to be
>doing well, but now I find a number of them with holes.  ....  The holes are
>round, ranging in diameter from 1/4" to 1/2", and from 1/4" to over an inch
>deep.  Most of the holes seem to be healing up,.....
>Have any of you had this problem?  The holes are not in the fans--just he
>rhizome itself.

Why, sure, all the time....: )  I have no idea what causes them, but they
have never been a serious problem and never a lot of them.  I have suspected
critters eating diseased rhizomes before..

One thing I have noticed a lot more of this year (maybe just because I am out
looking at them more frequently) is a great diversity of catepillars,
including those painful, pretty packsaddles.  They have sheared about half of
several leaf blades each (part of my tithe to the rest of nature).

Maybe it's the baby copperheads chewing on the rhizomes!

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east Tn USA