Snappy

>What the catalog fails to mention is that you need to have
>video card in order to make use of the snappy. I think.
>Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;)
>
>Some new computers come with video cards. If you don't have
>one, the video card can cost several times more than the
>snappy does. Best to check in to it before you rush out and
>buy one.
>
>Scott.

No Scott, I think you mean a capture card, but the "Snappy"
is complete.  You just plug it into a
parallel port and use the software that comes with it.  The
pictures on my website are all captured using one, and I
don't capture at the highest resolution.  Then I compress the
image 90%, so that I end up with pictures which will load in
a reasonable amount of time.  My images average 4K each.

Bad points:
1. It uses 9 volts batterries at the rate of about one per
100 captures.
2. The capture process is a bit tedious.  It may take several
tries to get a good image.
3. A video camera does not take the same kind of picture as a
good photographer gets with a good camera.  If you look on
our website you will see that about half the images show a
bloom in focus, with the backgound fuzzy.  That is a capture
of on of Diana's slides.  We projected the slide, videotaped
it, and then captured it with the "Snappy".  An image taken
from life with the videocamera will have great depth of
field; the background will be in focus.  The background will
distract the viewer from the flower.  There is no adjustment
on a videocamera to overcome this.
Nicholls Gardens     Mike and Diana Nicholls
HTTP://www.he.net/~ngardens/                  (West Coast)
HTTP://www.inet-images,com/nichollsgardens    (East Coast