Re: Photographing irises

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Photographing irises
  • From: Dennis Stoneburner <drstone@roanoke.infi.net>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 21:02:58 -0400

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:
> I confess to using mostly 200-speed film. Yes, the resolution is not
> quite as good as with the slower film, but it gives a little extra
> leeway in photographing with less light--good for snapping hostas
> and other shade plants!

A little bit of Kodak inside info.....if you think you need 200 speed
print film - rethink.....use 100 or 400 instead.  100 is great for grain
structure and color reproduction - of course a tripod is always helpful.
 400 grain structure is as good as the 200 if not better.
There is a problem printing the 200 speed film - the programs used by the
hi speed printers are flakey for the 200 speed.  Lots of hi-tech
mumbo-jumbo involved.

BTW - for slides - Ektachrome EPN-100 Professional film is the best - DO
NOT USE ELITE.  EPN cost a bit more - but the results are worth it.
Kodachrome  is wonderful for landscapes and "other" types of photos like
mushrooms etc.  The reproduction of iris flowers by Kodachrome by the
average person is sub-par.

Dennis - zone 6-7 sorta
(Kodak techno geek)