Re: Siberian GOLDEN CRIMPING, other yellows

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Nell Lancaster wrote:

> Does anyone have information about a Siberian iris called GOLDEN CRIMPING?
> I've grown it for a few years, but haven't seen it in any catalogs.  All the
> other Sibs I got from the same grower were named varieties, so I assume
 this is too.
> foliage is significantly wider than usual for Siberians, and it blooms fairly
> late among them. I was wondering if it were an unusual cross.

	GOLDEN CRIMPING (McEwen '85) An unsual flower with piecrust crimping
	and a light golden edge against the creamy, ivory falls and ruffles
	standards. The falls fade to sunny yellow shoulders and the cream
	frosts to pure white in the sun. (p. 11, The Siberian Iris, Fall '94)
	It goes on to infer that it is `bigger' than most but has great
	branching. I don't grow it myself but it sounds good so I might
	try it.

> Are there other yellows out there that are recommended?  Haven't tried BUTTER
> AND SUGAR yet; my original supplier characterized it as 'wimpy'.

	Poor BUTTER & SUGAR - it is a very good bloomer for me *altho* the
	foliage is sort of wimpy. :>( Check out the pix on Tom's cork board..
	ok, it was taken with an auto 35 mm.....not too good.

	This wonderful Siberian is so `maligned' by a fair amount of
	growers and that is why I chose to send it to the cork board
	to show that it does look good in certain gardens and climates.
	(It is my favorite Siberian.) shhh.....

	Nell, there are several fine yellows among the Siberians
	and more all the time. I particularly like PAS DE DEUX
	(Hollingworth '88) which garnered an AM in '94. The pod parent
	was B & S.....it is a yellow amoena like B & S.

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net   N. New Hampshire, USA
		Zone 3 - frost is sure here and the forests are lovely -
		peak `leaf-season'......nice sunny day with a cool