Re: Should I try Oyez?

:Does anyone know how difficult Oyez is to grow? (Sharon, Tom?)  The photos of
:it are so beautiful, I'd like to try.  But I don't want to needlessly kill a
:rhizome if I don't have the right conditions (isn't it kind of rare?).  I'm
:in zone 8 or 9 depending on the year.  We get enough rain in the winter to
:get the Salinas river to flow above ground for a couple of months and next to
:none in the summer.  Summer temperatures usually get over 100F for a couple
:of weeks, but it's always cool at night.  We have frost a good part of the
:winter, but not below 20F usually.  Anyone who's grown Oyez, please let me
:know if I should try it. Thanks.

Sounds like you have an ideal climate for arilbreds! The dry summers are
the important thing--they can adapt to just about anything else. OYEZ
should present no problem whatsoever. It's a rugged little critter that's
been around for six decades. (My hunch is that any arilbred introduced
before 1960 that can still be found in half a dozen catalogs must be
nearly foolproof, but that's just a hunch.)

Plant it and enjoy!

BTW, what is your yearly rainfall total? This is probably a better
indicator of success with arilbreds than either hardiness zone or
summer temperatures.

Happy arilbredding, Tom.