Deer and iris

  • To: IRIS-L@Rt66.com
  • Subject: Deer and iris
  • From: "Kimberly A. Hawbaker" <hawbaker@northernnet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 19:43:53 -0700
  • Conversation-Id: <BMSMTP8442239301hawbaker@server.northernnet.com>

Help!
How do you keep deer from eating iris leaves?  They love to give them a yank
and pull them right out of the ground before eating the leaves.  I've tried
moth balls, human hair scattered around the bed and bars of soap hanging from
the nearby trees but none of this works.

Also, what is the difference between dwarf iris that come in a bulb form and
dwarf iris which come in a rhizome form?  Are they actually the same thing?

And last of all, I see where someone mentioned not long ago that Martha Stewart
had an article on iris in her LIVING magazine sometime last year?  Does anyone
know what issue it was?  I want to find it.

Oct. 1st and we haven't had a hard frost yet!  YIPEE!  The leaves are beautiful
on the trees and there is a crispness in the air.  Fall is here.

Kim in Northern Minn. USDA zone 3
hawbaker@northernnet.com