Re: rebloomers

Linda commented on the fertilization of reblooming iris=great growth
and if some rot it didn't matter much because the growth kept ahead
of it.  But, watch out with the non-rebloomer.
    That advice confirms what our club was told by Dr. Garland Bare,
Lincoln, NE, who is probably this region's resident expert and chief
enthusiast for reblooming iris.  When he spoke to us, his advice was
(1)put your rebloomers in a bed separate from the others, (2)water
once a week because they don't go dormant, (3)they need fertilizer
twice a year, in early spring before bloom and two weeks after the
spring bloom, and (4)most of them need total sunshine for reblooming,
though INTYGRATION will bloom well in shade.
    I have not followed that program as I should, not simply due to
sloth, though I must admit that's part of it, and I'm sure I would
have had more rebloom if I had.  Separate bed is part of the plan for
next year's replanting.
    Dr. Bare also gave a list of rebloomers that he said were most
reliable for this area, though being located 150+ miles north of him
I might not have the same success.  However, I wrote on this list a
couple months ago that I had such a list, and somebody asked me to
give it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find it, thought I had lost it,
but the other day (looking for something else, of course) I found it
in a file.  When I tried to send it to the address of the requester,
it came back as an undeliverable message.  I don't know that is of
enough general use to warrant putting it on this list, but I would be
willing to share that list of names with anyone who thinks it would
be of value.  So many of you live in areas farther south, so you
don't need it.

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa, zone 4
Cold here, only a high of 32 yesterday.  All that free air from