Re: Planting Dutch iris bulbs

> Actually, the opposite is true in our climate.  Maybe if you have cold
> howling winds come through, it would chill a raised bed, but generally, in
> sun and warm air, the raised beds warm up faster than 'unraised' beds, which
> are insulated by the rest of the planet.  But the drainage is better! : )

raised beds are also insulated by the planet ... but are 'uninsulated'
on anything above-the-ground-surface area.  If you have, for example, a
box of dirt on the ground, the sides of the box are 'uninsulated'; the
top whether on ground or above will lose heat / gain warmth more readily
than the bottom.

here in TX we raise our beds for drainage, period, and must mulch them
heavily to conserve water and coolness during the summer.  the other
problem we face is that containerized plants, which are the "ultimate"
raised beds, being completely separated from the earth, can either cook
or freeze plants much more readily than in-ground plants.  Just ask my
pansies right now.  It's been too warm for them :-(

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
Jill O. *Trades
Mistress O. {}