Re: Iris and daylily web sites and 'lists'

> In fact, absolutely nothing prevents anyone from starting up a daylily
> equivalent to the IRIS-L in which participants would not have to be AHS
> members.  I think this would be a good thing, too, and would be willing to
> post regularly and help publicize it if it happened.  It's unlikely that an
> independent group designed to reach out to new daylily gardeners would attract
> the number of major hybridizers and veteran growers-and-showers that the IRIS-L
> has, but it would still be of great value.

That's what worries me.  You need a blend of newbies and experts.  With
two lists, one "closed" to AHS members, which constitute a fraction of
American daylily growers, and one "open," where do you think you'll find
the experts?

> The Internet is just a medium, and from its inception has had closed lists as
> well as open ones.  It's not "about" anything because it's about everything.

The Internet ONLY works because most of it is open.  I've been around it
for six years now, have contributed vastly to it, and never held
anything back.  This is a way of thinking -- a belief system -- not a
statement of fact.  The Free Software Foundation, XOpen, USENET... vs.
AOL and Microsoft.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
Jill O. *Trades