planting bulbs, Argentina

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, A Savannah wrote:

> because I just discovered a bunch of allium bulbs that need to be planted. I
> might have to break out the sledge hammer and crowbar for the top couple of
> inches....how I envy those that live in warmer climates....I still can't
> understand why when I was a teenager (long ago) my mother moved to Calgary

	I used a crowbar to loosen the ground about two weeks ago so I
	could use my little bulb planter to plant about 40 new bulbs.

	Thankfully, the bed was already prepared so it wasn't terribly
	difficult....when I was doing this in my front yard, a car stopped
	and a man started video-taping me and they were from Argentina on a
	vacation to see the White Mountains in full foliage. They, of course,
	were here too late for that....*but* we started talking flowers (in
	my fractured Spanish (their English was almost non-existant) and iris
	was not in their vocabulary.

	 I informed them of the Buenos Aires Iris Society that Clarence wrote
	about in the July bulletin. (or was it the Argentine iris society?)
	 They were very emphatic that anything Buenos Aires grew, their
	 city of Santa Fe, 500 km north of B.A., could grow better! I ran
	inside the house and tore the international news from the bulletin
	and gave it to them....one of the men reads English better than he
	speaks it so who knows...maybe another Argentine iris club?

	They really stopped to `get' one of the political signs on my lawn
	for a souvenir but I gave them both buttons and bumper stickers in-
	stead. :>)

	Cheers,

	Ellen Gallagher e_galla@moose.ncia.net  Lancaster, NH, USA
		Zone 3a - snow on the flower beds this morning....