Re: rebloomers

Amy said
>Wow, this is exactly opposite from what I've heard.  I've heard that
>bearded irises do NOT want to have a lot of organic matter in their soil
>-- that they will then rot.  So I can see the lime, superphosphate,
>chemical based 13-13-13, gypsum, and potash, but the sewage sludge?
and Norma dittoed.

I'll take a stab at commenting on this.  If I have learned anything from
experiences of folks on this list, it is that rot 'outbreak' is a function of
a lot of things (variety, soil aeration, humidity, heat, cold, moisture,
drought, etc etc etc).  These rebloomers sound like they are capable of
constant rapid growth.  So I guess they can use all those nutrients and
moisture to grow and make flowers, unlike single bloomers, which need a
'rest' period after bloom.  My own experience with IMMORTALITY (which really
rots here) is that dumping a lot of fresh from the pooper horse manure around
the rhizomes (not on top, but a few inches away) increased the growth rate
and bloom production a lot (it also increased the rot rate, but who cares),
and QUEEN DOROTHY had languished here for several years with no bloom until I
mulched it heavily with fresh mushroom compost and horse manure.

But you are right - it's a good way to increase rot in non-rebloomers, and
they aren't out there making increases like crazy to make up for it like the
rebloomers do.

Am I way off with this?

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA