>forcing types, because I try not
>to buy them.  They bloom only
>once in  my mild climate - or
>not at all - while the "garden"
>types last two to three years
>in average garden soil with no
>special attention).

>gigi.hall.mtv.gtegsc.com

Thanks, Gigi, for your helpful and informative answer, and thanks to Ellen
for your suggestions.  The variety I ordered is BLUE RIBBON from Dutch
Gardens.  Maybe it is a garden type.  Hope so.  The bulbs are larger than
other Dutch iris I have planted.
As far as mulch, I just don't know.  We usually don't have frozen ground for
any length of time.  Last winter I mulched the tulips I had planted in pots.
I think it kept them warmer during the cold spell we had in March, because
they came up sooner than the ones I had in the ground, and then we had to
cover them.  That was fun, brushing snow off the tobacco covers we used, by
the headlights of the car.  We had to do this because the weight of the snow
would have  collapsed my flimsy support system, and would have broken the
tulips.
I have had good luck with I. reticulata.  They don't seem to mind the cold,
at least the cold we have here in Zone 6.  I like them because they are the
first sign of spring around here, and they smell so good.
Julie Allen, Sparta, TN