Re: bees/wine-grape harvest

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996 SCHAFFCM@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU wrote:

> You all might be interested in a report on the condition of bees --
>
> a honey producer at my local Farmer's Market said that the word is
> encouraging on the bees.  There is a pest strip that can be used in the
> hives to kill the mites.  And the hives are recovering.  He said that
> the officials want to keep much of the information a secret, but he doesn't
> know why.  The Bumblebee population is also increasing.  So that's good
> news for the new year.

Actually the cloudy wet weather caused a lot of problems with
nectar gathering with the bees. That's why the honey harvest is so
small in some locations. There is also enthusiastic discussions
about formic acid & menthol as well as the fluvalinate strips for
dealing with mites. There are also bees from Buckfast Abbey in
England which are resistant to acarine mites.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada